- "A creature born from the bloated core of a dead Haunted, the Cadaver is blind and uses sound to zero in on its prey."
- ―Model viewer description.
The Cadaver is a new type of enemy encountered by Juli Kidman in The Assignment and The Consequence. Pedro Martin optionally fights some of them during his trek through the Victoriano Manor in The Executioner as well.
Cadavers are formed from specific Haunted with boils around their body. Upon being struck down with enough damage, these special Haunted will transform into their next stage if ignored.
A Cadaver is formed with its body upright and its limbs bent down backwards to serve as rudimentary legs, while the explosive pustules on the former Haunted's body are shifted into a large, pulsating mass on the creature's stomach. Its ribcage is broken up and juts out from the Cadaver's torso, which it uses as an inescapable vise to restrain its quarry as it blows up in a spectacular display of mutual destruction.
Cadavers are effectively blind, but they make up for this by being especially receptive to noises. Upon hearing a sound, a Cadaver will enter "aggro" mode and turn red as it goes to investigate the source of the noise. If it doesn't bump into Kidman, the Cadaver will "calm down" after a while and resume its usual patrol pattern. In that sense, Cadavers serve more as area-denial landmines more than anything else, since some of them will be blocking the way towards objectives and must be lured away with bottles in order to proceed.
Cadavers encountered during The Executioner are always aggressive, as are several scripted ones during Kidman's trek through Beacon Mental Hospital.
- If an aggressive Cadaver catches up to Juli, it will latch onto her with its ribs before proceeding to blow both of them to bits. This can also happen if Juli bumps into an non-aggressive one.
| Death Grip|
Get a Cadaver to grab and kill a Haunted.
- "Cadaver" is Latin for "corpse".
- The Art of The Evil Within reveals that Cadaver was originally planned to appear in the main game and was going to be called The Bridge.
|The Evil Within|