Large amounts of Green Gel are consumed to enable Sebastian Castellanos to upgrade his gear and abilities.
Green Gel is a seemingly viscous, fluorescent green fluid stored in glass jars that are secreted by the many creatures inhabiting STEM spaces when they die. When exposed to air and not contained in a sealed jar, the Gel would appear to bubble and slowly evaporate, though it loses much of this perceived volatility when collected.
Nearly all enemies in the games drop Green Gel when slain, and the larger and more challenging the enemy, the more Gel will usually drop. Enemies will drop triple the usual amounts of Green Gel during a New Game+ playthrough.
Red Gel is a new subtype appearing in The Evil Within 2. Unlike Green Gel that can be found in vast quantities throughout the game, Red Gel vials only show up every now and then, and are collected in units of one at a time. As rare as they are, Red Gels are fortunately only spent in single vials to unlock additional skill paths in the upgrades screen.
Green Gel acts as a form of currency, used for enhancing skills and equipment at the Safe Haven.
By the time of The Evil Within 2, Green Gel is no longer used to enhance Sebastian's arsenal. Such is the purpose of Weapon Crafting parts instead.
| My Best Friend|
Completely upgrade one weapon.
| The Power of Three|
Completely upgrade three weapons.
| Unstoppable Arsenal|
Completely upgrade all weapons.
| Why Can't I Hold All This Ammo?|
Upgrade all options in the Stock menu.
Fully upgrade all of Sebastian's attributes.
| It Is What It Is|
Finish the game without upgrading any skills with green gel.
- While the sound effects of Sebastian harvesting Green Gel might imply that he simply scoops up the fluid with a jar, the actual animation involves him drawing the gel up with a Syringe.
- The depicted use of Green Gel implies that the compound is some sort of psychosomatic fluid that are applied directly to the patient's brain to improve their many higher functions.
- Seeing as STEM operates by interfacing directly with the human mind, the results of upgrading Sebastian's many abilities could be interpreted as him using the Gel to strengthen this mental connection, thus granting him more perceived power within its worlds.
- The absolute hard cap for Green Gel is 99,999,999. After this cap has been reached Sebastian cannot collect any more gel until he has spent some. Given that the cap is only feasibly attained once the player have exhausted every single gear upgrade, it will likely stay as is for the rest of the game.
- The Gel bottles use a single static model throughout the two games, and as such the fluid inside will always remain perfectly parallel to the base of the container regardless of the position of the bottle itself.
- Assets for Red Gel actually existed as far back as the developmental builds of the first game, and the icon image could still be found by digging through the game files.
|The Evil Within|
|The Evil Within 2|
|Legend: Base Game, New Game+ unlock, Pre-order exclusive|