- "A creature born from the mind of a murderer merged with Ruvik's madness. He has lost himself to rage, becoming murderousness personified."
- ―Model viewer description
The Sadist is a recurring enemy that appears in The Evil Within and the first enemy that the player encounters. He also appears as an enemy boss twice in The Executioner, and briefly in The Evil Within 2.
The Sadist appears as a very large, almost overweight man wearing a spiked metal mask which covers most of his face, a bloodied and dirty white tank-top and brown trousers. He has stained, scraggly grey hair that can be seen up close, and his eyes are blue, though with a whitish-cloudy discoloration to it as if he has cataracts.
His main weapon is a large chainsaw, which he uses when attacking and pursuing Sebastian Castellanos. Other than that, he also employs a big and bloody meat cleaver, though its use in the game is very brief.
The Evil WithinEdit
The Sadist is the first enemy directly encountered during the game in Chapter 1. Despite acquiring the knife shortly before encountering the Sadist, it is not possible to kill him without going to extreme lengths, (see Knife for details). The player should instead flee and attempt to hide from him.
After escaping him at the beginning of the game, the player faces the Sadist again as a boss encounter at the end of Chapter 3. The Sadist must be killed during this encounter, as the player requires his chainsaw to unlock a gate that is blocking the way. Killing him with a stealth attack unlocks the Knife Beats Chainsaw achievement.
Despite his apparent death, the Sadist appears again in Chapter 6, breaking through a large door and attacking Sebastian after he is separated from Joseph Oda. He behaves the same as in Chapter 3 except there is significantly less space to avoid his attacks.
The Sadist makes a last stand in Chapter 15, when he emerges form the exit after the final horde of Haunted. He wields a rocket launcher, but Sebastian takes cover and fires at the Sadist until he pulls out his chainsaw, charging at Sebastian. Sebastian defeats the Sadist once and for all, escaping Ruvik's Eye.
During the final boss battle with the Amalgam Core, the Sadist's corpse falls from the sky, landing next to an impaled Sebastian, who quickly picks up his dropped Rocket Launcher, while the rest of the corpse falls into the vortex below.
Labeled as subject CB-212 in STEM reports, the Sadist was a convicted murderer connected to the STEM system. Like the Keeper, his objective was to destroy all other STEM test subjects in order to escape. While killing various Haunted, he encountered The Keeper's daughter, who initially thought the Sadist was a good person because he too was killing the monsters. However, when she tried to assist Sadist in helping collect memory tokens, he grew angry. Fearing for her life, she fled from him without his noticing.
In order to halt STEM's influence over his daughter and get out, the Keeper was instructed to kill Sadist to advance, confronting the maniac in the Victoriano family's barn where he will engage him with a mob of The Haunted. Defeating the Sadist unlocks his chainsaw as a weapon that can be used by the player, available for purchase in the upgrade store.
A separate Sadist, known as the RPG Sadist, is the fifth enemy boss in The Executioner. Known as Subject CB-205 and was purportedly an ex-soldier in the real world, he is otherwise identical to the normal Sadist except for his choice of weapon. Upon defeat, his Rocket Launcher is unlocked and available to buy in the upgrade store.
The Evil Within 2Edit
The Sadist briefly returns in The Evil Within 2 during the boss fight with Theodore Wallace, who uses Sebastian's memories of STEM to torment him. Sebastian finds himself back in Beacon, in the same hallway he originally fled through. After the Sadist toys with him briefly, Sebastian finally faces down his fears of STEM and has finally had enough of being toyed with and being afraid. He kicks a gurney into the Sadist, which gives Sebastian an opportunity to get behind the Sadist and stab him in the neck with his knife and use his own chainsaw to nearly bisect him.
- The Sadist is incredibly agile despite his large size, and should always be ran away from or stunned with Agony bolts if the former is not an option.
- Shooting the Sadist in the face with a high-powered weapon like the Shotgun or Magnum can briefly stun him, allowing the player to make distance.
- Usually, the area in which the Sadist must be fought has some sort of environmental traps that can be used against him. If there are none, Agony bolts can be shot at walls or the floor to be used as land mines.
- Flash bolts will trigger a longer stun than gunfire, and exposes the Sadist to a sneak attack. Three successful hits will kill him, netting the player the Knife Beats Chainsaw achievement.
- Do not attempt to hide under beds or inside closets within view of the Sadist, or he will know and shove his chainsaw into the hiding spot, killing Sebastian instantly. He may also discover the player if they use the same hiding place over and over again.
- The Sadist can be stealth killed during the hide-and-seek sequence in Chapter 1, netting the player 5000. This is usually not worth the risk, however, as a grand total of 16 hits are needed to down him, and requires the player to constantly retreat to a locker to avoid being caught.
- The Sadist can be defeated in three hits (five on Nightmare and AKUMU) using the spike traps in Chapter 3, preferrably with the use of Flash bolts to pin him in place as the player runs to pull the lever.
As the KeeperEdit
- He is slower than the Keeper, but is capable of inflicting considerable damage and can block hammer attacks with his chainsaw.
- Barbed wire traps are highly effective, as it is easy to deal heavy damage while he is incapacitated.
- The rockets from the RPG Sadist can deal massive damage if the Keeper does not dodge in time; however, they are relatively easy to evade and the Keeper has the advantage should he get close enough for melee attacks.
- The player should be careful when repeatedly attacking the RPG Sadist with the hammer, as he can swing the launcher around and knock the Keeper off his feet if the hit connects.
- If cornered, the RPG Sadist may brandish a chainsaw against the Keeper, at which point he employs the same strategy as his normal counterpart.
Death Animations Edit
The Evil WithinEdit
The Sadist has three separate instant kill moves that he employs should he manage to catch Sebastian with his weapons.
- If he detects Sebastian in his kitchen area, the Sadist will slice into the detective's arm with his meat cleaver, knocking him down, and proceed to chop straight through his throat while he's down, beheading him.
- If the Sadist catches Sebastian from behind during the later sneaking sequence, he will drive his chainsaw through Sebastian's torso, spewing blood everywhere. He then tosses his corpse aside.
- If the Sadist attacks from the front with his chainsaw, he will grind it against Sebastian's neck as the latter struggles in vain before being swiftly decapitated.
The Evil Within 2Edit
- The Sadist retains his previous back stabbing kill from the first game.
- If Sebastian fails to clear the quicktime event when trying to saw the Sadist in half, the crazed killer will knock his chainsaw away and quickly finish him off by a chop to the head with his cleaver.
| Weapon of Choice|
Defeat the Sadist within the village.
This is a Secret achievement.
| Knife Beats Chainsaw|
His engine roars, but my knife is strong enough to take him out.
Kill the Sadist with a sneak attack.
- The Sadist is in most aspects a homage to the Chainsaw Man of Resident Evil 4, particularly his choices of attire and weapon, as well as his frontal insta-kill animation.
- Despite his usual penchant for brutish violence, the Sadist seems to have an ear for classical music, as demonstrated during Sebastian's first encounter with him, where he can be witnessed listening to Air on the G String by Johann Bach from an old gramophone. Said gramophone is still in the same spot and playing the same record during Juli Kidman's visit near the end of The Consequence.
The Evil WithinEdit
The Evil Within (Comic)Edit
|The Evil Within|
|The Evil Within 2|