|The Evil Within|
|Engine:||id Tech 5|
|Released:||October 14, 2014|
|Media:||Optical disc, download|
The Evil Within, also known as Psychobreak (サイコブレイク, Saikobureiku?) in Japan, is a survival-horror video game developed by Tango Gameworks and published by Bethesda Softworks. The game was directed by Shinji Mikami, the creator of Resident Evil & a former Resident Evil 4 director. The game utilizes id Tech 5 engine that has been modified to suit the game.
The Evil Within was released on October 14 2014 for PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.
Having arrived, they find a massacre has taken place inside the hospital, with the place now seemingly deserted. After finding a sole survivor, Sebastian witnesses through the hospital CCTV, fellow K.C.P.D officers running from and firing upon an unseen force. They are then brutally killed by a disfigured, supernatural, hooded man, who then appears behind Sebastian and attacks him, knocking him unconscious.
Sebastian then awakes in the basement of the Hospital, and after escaping the dangers that lurk within the bowels of the mental institute, he finds himself thrust into a nightmarish world, where horrific monsters and unimaginable terrors roam.
The game primarily focuses on 3 key gameplay elements:
- Survival Horror - The player must navigate through the hostile game world with limited resources. This requires the player to use their wits to survive and correctly manage their few resources as they encounter various terrors and dangers throughout the game.
- Traps and Puzzles - The player not only needs to struggle to survive, but also face dangerous traps and mechanisms. Being careless with traps can cause death. However, the player can also utilize the traps to their own advantage.
- Alternating Environments - Throughout the game, the environments may change without warning in real-time based on the player's actions, adding more variables to the game.
While exploring, the camera is set behind the player and is able to freely move them around. However, the camera can also change views sometimes. During combat, aiming puts the camera in over-the-shoulder mode. Combat isn't usually forced upon the player; as supplies are scarce in the game, the player can run away and hide, avoid the enemy by sneaking or performing stealth kills. The player also has access to a last resort weapon called the Agony Crossbow, capable of utilizing various bolts. The player can shoot them either at enemies or onto surfaces, setting them up as traps.
In case of inventory managing, the player can bring up a circular menu to change items/weapons anytime. At the same time, the player is also able to set the items to a designated shortcut so that they are able to quickly change items/weapons in real-time. Depending on the difficulty, the player can only carry a specified amount of items and ammunition by default, but can choose to upgrade the amount later on.
- Haunted ‒ The main enemies in the game. They move and behave in a manner very similar to the ganados from Resident Evil 4 using farming tools as weapons. These are the primary enemies that Sebastian encounters throughout the game.
- AlterEgo - Very similar enemies to the Haunted. They have two heads and have a deformed appearance, are significantly tougher than the regular Haunted, can sprout a parisitic style tentacle from their chest, which is capable of killing you in one hit, and can also spit acid.
- The Keeper ‒ (AKA Boxman/Safeman) A large humanoid creature that has a safe wrapped in barbed wire for a head, when killed he respawns a few seconds later. His appearance is similar to that of a butcher, as he wears a plastic apron and protective gloves, as well as him carrying a bloody, spiked sack. He also lays down barbed wire traps, which work similar to bear traps.
- Reborn Laura ‒ A creature resembling a heavily disfigured woman with multiple limbs. It is capable of teleporting short distances and attacks the player by using the claws on its two front limbs.
- Sadist ‒ A large deranged man who butchers his victims for an unknown purpose. He is the first enemy encountered in the game. The Sadist most notably uses a large chainsaw as a weapon, although is also seen using a meat cleaver and a Rocket launcher.
- Ruvik ‒ A severly disfigured, burned, hooded man who acts as the primary antagonist of the game. He appears randomly throughout the game, and cannot be killed, the only thing the player can do is run or hide when encountering him. He has supernatural powers, being invulnerable to bullets, being able to teleport and being also being able to move at super sonic speeds, although he has a weakness to fire.
- Knife - Combat knife that is used solely for stealth kills, cannot be used in actual combat.
- Handgun - The primary firearm used throughout the game and the first one you'll acquire, it also has the most abundant type of ammo you'll find. While not a particularly effective when first using it, after the weapon has been upgraded it becomes very efficient for dealing with regular enemies.
- Shotgun - A pump-action shotgun similarly based on the Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun, this weapon is very effective for taking down tougher enemies, such as bosses, and is useful when dealing with close-nit groups of enemies. The initial performance of the weapon is pretty decent, though ammo for the shotgun is rather rare, at least earlier on in the game.
- Magnum - The Magnum, found very late ingame due to it´s power, it´s based on the Smith & Wesson Model 27 it´s ammo is really rare and hard to find making it only usable against hard bosses.
- Sniper Rifle - Used to kill foes from a long distance.
- Grenade - Hard to find, and used only against hard bosses and great groups of enemies.
- Agony Crossbow - The crossbow is special due to the many different ammo types that it can use. Each type of crossbow bolt has a different effect, and the crossbow can be used as both an offensive weapon, as well as a defensive weapon. The list of bolt's goes as follows:
- Anson Mount - Sebastian Castellanos
- Jennifer Carpenter - Juli Kidman
- Yuri Lowenthal - Joseph Oda
- Aaron Landon - Leslie Withers
- Jackie Earle Haley - Ruvik
- Daniel Riordan - Marcelo Jimenez
- Kiff VandenHeuvel - Connelly
- Liam O'Brien - Valerio Jimenez
- Julie Granata - Tatiana Gutierrez
- Laura Post - Laura Victoriano
Those who pre-ordered the game or bought specific copies were provided with a pack called the Fighting Chance Pack, which gives the player some exclusive items, such as the Double Barrel Shotgun, as well as useful extra items found in the base game:
The game was revealed in April 2012 under the code name ZWEI with Shinji Mikami being the director. On April 15, 2013 and over the next few days, Bethesda Softworks released a series of short cryptic videos of the new game. It was officially announced in April 19, 2013 revealing the title of the game, the consoles it will be released on and a live action teaser trailer.
- For walkthrough video content, please visit the Walkthrough page.