- "They lose who they are and become clay, completely reshapable in my image."
- ―Ruvik, using a metaphor for the claimed consciousness' of the patients connected to STEM
The Haunted are what became of normal people who died while connected to STEM, or were dominated by its effects. At Ruvik's command, legions of these husks beset upon Sebastian Castellanos throughout The Evil Within.
The Haunted appear as mutilated or rotting walking corpses festooned with various nails and glass shards pinned into their flesh, along with having barbed wires or chain wrapped around their bodies. The Haunted bear bluish-white glowing eyes and are clad in the tattered remains of their clothing, though the masked variant encountered later on have relatively more intact apparel.
In The Assignment and The Consequence, a unique variant of the Haunted is featured instead. These ones, while are relatively intact compared to Ruvik's other minions, have glowing sores and pustules throughout their bodies that change colors depending on their current status. Normally white when docile, these Haunted can glow yellow if they became alerted to Juli Kidman's presence, and red when they are hostile. Some of these Haunted may have large clusters of boils on their bodies, which indicates that they turn into a Cadaver when killed.
All Haunted share a taste for human flesh, most specificaly the brain, which they can be seen messily feasting on from time to time when not aware of the player's presence.
The Haunted, although savage and brutal, have been shown to have some degree of intelligence. They know how to use a multitude of weapons, ranging from melee to firearms and can often be seen exhibiting behaviors in combat such as ducking, zigzagging, or blocking with their arms. Some Haunted will also attack in groups and work together in an attempt to kill the player. They are also able to create and set up various traps, along with playing dead to ambush unaware foes.
Some Haunted are seemingly more intelligent than others, allowing them to talk, though only in short, repeated and disjointed sentences. Whether by instinct or by choice, the Haunted also seems to have a penchant for torturing and maiming/killing any normal human they caught, with one of their possible victims being Joseph Oda.
The Haunted seem to have a fascination with mannequins. They are seen to be preoccupied with them throughout the game. This is a possible indication that the Haunted are aware of their horrific disfigurements, and view mannequins as reflections of their former appearance before Ruvik transformed them.
According to Shinji Mikami, the Haunted have undergone mutation and are expressing the evil that permeates within them.
A single Haunted on its own poses little threat to the player, as they are slow, unintelligent, and fairly easy to kill. However, large groups of Haunted are much more dangerous, as they can easily surround and overwhelm the player, especially in confined areas.
The Haunted are most commonly encountered wielding melee weapons such as hatchets, knives and pickaxes. In later chapters, Sebastian will also have to contend with Haunted armed with ranged or thrown weapons such as dynamite, Molotovs, Agony Crossbows and firearms. Unarmed Haunted will punch and kick at the player. If they get close enough, unarmed Haunted can also use a QTE grabbing move, dealing moderate damage if the player fails to shake them off.
The Haunted gain a big improvement to their AI while playing on AKUMU difficulty, allowing them to attack with much greater ferocity while frequently sidestepping shots and dodging melee attacks. Fat Haunted will attempt to block shots directed at their upper torso with their large arms, while those armed with Sniper Rifles will almost never miss.
In addition to the bog-standard Haunted encountered throughout the game, some distinctive variants do show up every now and then.
- Bloated: These Haunted appear fatter and physically larger than common Haunted. They have the same move set as other Haunted but due to their larger size, they have significantly higher HP. They can survive more body damage than The Keeper, including multiple shotgun blasts, so the easiest way to kill them is to destroy their heads or set them on fire after they've been knocked down. They may be filled with glass shards, wrapped in chains or ropes, shirtless or in priest robes.
- MOBIUS: These Haunted have cracks in them that will glow red as a result of Juli's past afflicting them.
- Cadaver: These Haunted are covered in large, bubbling sores that glow bright red, which turns them into Cadavers when sufficient damage is dealt to them. They usually wield heavy weapons such as sledgehammers or scythes.
- Bloated Cadaver: The biggest Haunted of all, about 4 1/2 feet taller than a regular Bloated Haunted, they are strong enough to pick up The Keeper, and must be bonked in the head several times by him before they let go. The red sores on these Haunted now have white spikes protruding from them, and completely engulf their mouth. The eyes on these haunted now glow red. They can endure a tremendous amount of damage from The Keeper's hammer before expiring, but can be executed if staggered. They take no damage from falling, and will sometimes charge at the player with short bursts of speed. They never carry weapons.
- Invisible: These Haunted are invisible unless they are attacking or being attacked by the player. They make a squelching sound as they move and tentacles protrude from their mouth and face. They wear straitjackets; however their arms are not restrained.
- Ruvik Doppelgangers: These are Haunted that were so heavily influenced by Ruvik that they transform into flawed copies of him, apparently with no face and wearing a white coat with the Beacon Mental Hospital logo. They are understandably immune to headshots, and wields the ability to summon a traveling rift of clawed hands that home in on Sebastian and can kill him instantly if they connect. These Haunted are still vulnerable to Sneak kills, however.
The Evil Within 2 Edit
The Haunted make a brief appearance in The Evil Within 2 as targets in the Shooting Range. Cardboard cutouts of various Haunted that Sebastian faced appear as targets to shoot at. While adventuring in the game itself, however, similar creatures called The Lost take their place as main enemies.
The Evil Within Edit
The Haunted have many kill animations which they will perform on Sebastian once they've managed to deplete his health. The specific animations depend on what weapon a Haunted is carrying at the time of the kill.
- Unarmed: The Haunted overpowers and throws Sebastian to the ground. As the detective lies dazed on his back, the Haunted finishes him off by stomping hard on his face and breaking his neck.
- Unarmed, fat: The Haunted tackles Sebastian to the ground before sitting on him and punches him thrice, with the final blow snapping his neck.
- Knife: The Haunted shoves the blade into his throat. As Sebastian lies choking on the ground, the Haunted sits down on him and pushes the knife in further, killing him.
- Axe: The Haunted grabs onto Sebastian by the head and chops off his left arm with its axe before decapitating him with it.
The Assignment & ConsequenceEdit
Most of the death animations for Juli are shared with Sebastian, however there is one that is unique to her in the DLCs.
- If Juli is finished off by an unarmed Haunted with a grapple attack, the creature will wrestle her onto the ground before sitting on her and pummeling her to death with its fists.
- If a person transforming into a Haunted is able to resist the effects or is somehow snapped back into proper senses before their STEM domination becomes irreversible, any visual deformities will instantly revert, though the individual will be completely aware of their actions while transformed, as witnessed in the case of Joseph.
|The Evil Within|